Two thousand seventeen, you were fast and wild and beautiful. You were filled with surprises, realizations and challenges. You taught me that I could overcome fears and go after a dream no matter how impossible it seems. You shaped me and taught me to be tenacious and persistent. You showed me that, in order to get where I want to be, leaving my comfort zone is necessary. And in leaving that comfort zone, came opportunity, personal growth, happiness and a deeper understanding of what I’m really made of.
If in 2016, you told me that next year my career journey was going to shift completely, I might’ve believed you… but I would’ve never guessed that in 2017, I would be speaking to thousands of kids across two counties and 15+ school districts. I would’ve looked at you and laughed.
But that’s the thing about life… we make plans and God laughs. He had more in store for me this year than I would’ve ever imagined… and the scariest part is that I know this is just the beginning 😉
Twenty seventeen, you flipped my world upside down and I wouldn’t change a thing about that. I’m a little sad to see you go, but I know that with a new year comes a fresh slate and a sense of refinement that can only come from the lessons learned within the last 12 months.
For 2018, I wanted to set and document my goals. I wanted to make them public in an effort to create a sense of accountability. And maybe you have a similar goal or need inspiration to start forming your own goals. Research says that writing down a goal makes you more likely to accomplish it… so here’s to hoping it works. And here’s to you, twenty eighteen. I already know you’re going to be spectacular!
- BUY A HOUSE – This is a big goal but a smart one. With interest rates low and the cost of renting going up, buying is the smarter option. It’s an investment that I’m ready to head towards. My plan for this next year is to continue saving, start house hunting more seriously, and eventually make the move (no pun intended) by 2019! Location is everything when it comes to buying a home but so is timing…
- GET HEALTHY – Don’t roll your eyes at me! I’m serious haha.. I know this is a common and often failed New Year’s resolution but it’s important. If writing it down and getting in a healthier mindset is all you have right now, that’s the first step and you’re heading in the right direction… at least that’s what I tell myself. I’m sick and tired of feeling sick and tired. The older we get, it’s more about what’s happening on the inside. And if your body can’t hang with poor nutrition anymore, it’s time to rethink your lifestyle. I want to get healthy this year… healthy on the inside. I’ve been researching the Whole30 and similar nutrition mindsets so if you’re someone who has advice on this, please don’t hesitate to share it with me!
- SAVE MONEY – This goal goes along with my first goal. For the past 2 years I have tracked my spending habits and stats. To be frank, it’s alarming. If I would have saved all the money I spent on unnecessary things, I would be that much closer to buying a house or even a new car. I could’ve gone on an extravagant vacation (*crying on the inside*)! So my goal for 2018 is to look at the bigger picture and put a certain percentage of every paycheck in my savings account. I need to learn self-control and stick to a budget. This kind of discipline isn’t fun or easy but I know I’ll be happier in the long run because of it.
- TRAVEL SOMEWHERE NEW – And with all of that money I’ll be saving, I want to travel somewhere new this coming year. Even if it’s a small road trip with friends, I want to see a new city and try something I’ve never done while I’m there! I’m open to suggestions!
- WILDLY CREATE & PRODUCE – I want to be recklessly creative this year. In both my professional and personal life, I have the opportunity to invent, design, produce, and present. I have full creative freedom in both worlds and I don’t feel like I take advantage of that enough. Sometimes I forget that I don’t have to color inside the lines. I forget that if I believe in something enough, it can be brought to life… but I have to believe in it. The boundaries we come up against, often times, are ones we create ourselves. So in 2018, I want to live by these quotes:
If you do not go after what you want, you’ll never have it.
If you do not step forward, you will always be in the same place.
If you do not ask, the answer will always be no.