Hi friends! Last month I took a little poll and asked my readers what they might like to see on the blog in the coming months and I got several great suggestions! Thank you to everyone who sent ideas my way!
As you know, most of my content is about beauty products and my favorite accessories mixed with a bit of positivity and lessons on self-love, but I love blogging about lifestyle topics too! I’m always referring to Pinterest and other blogs for life-hack tips or for general motivation and I find them super helpful! Sometimes we do things our own way for so long or certain areas of life just aren’t our forte and for that – I am so grateful for Pinterest!
That being said, today’s post is all about getting organized! From as far back as I can remember, I was a very organized person. I like to keep my space clean and my things in order. It makes life run so much smoother! I’m also a firm believer that a clean space = a clean mind. I’m aware that some people thrive in a cluttered environment but for the most part, staying organized leads to better habits and a healthier state of being.
On a side note, I’ve been doing a lot of reading/documentary watching on Minimalism! I think it’s absolutely brilliant and the idea behind it is almost mind blowing. Everything about it makes sense. It’s such a beautiful way to live. If you’ve never heard of Minimalism, do yourself a favor, hop on Netflix, and watch “Minimalism” or just look up “The Minimalists” on Google.
It’s a hard feat especially in today’s culture, but I strive to have the minimalist mentality. And while I probably fall extremely short of being considered “a minimalist”, I do what I can to stay organized, only buy and keep what I need, and get rid of anything that doesn’t bring me joy or happiness.
So let’s jump into these tips! Today I’m sharing 10 of my organizational hacks/spring cleaning tips! I live by these tips and I hope they help you too! I promise, life becomes lighter when you get organized and on top of things… you’ll see!
And if you’ve tried any of these, I’d love to hear!
- BE A MINIMALIST: or at least try! Go through all of your belongings. When you physically hold each one, ask yourself: “Do I need this? Does it bring me joy? Am I happier with it? Could someone else use it more?” Once you’ve determined the answer to these questions either toss it, donate it, or keep it. You’ll be surprised at how much useless stuff you have!
- INVEST IN ORGANIZERS: Browse Walmart or Target for storage systems or plastic bins. For smaller objects like cosmetics, check Amazon for acrylic storage drawers. I recently purchased the one you see above and it’s probably my favorite thing I own! It was worth every penny and it completely decluttered my bathroom/makeup collection. I’m obsessed with it.
- USE FELT HANGERS: These are brilliant. Your clothes stay put and they save a ton of space compared to plastic hangers. These are sold at TJ Maxx and Marshalls. They come in various quantities and colors too!
- TOSS IT: Go through your bathroom and toss old/expired products. Clean out your makeup bag and throw away mascara older than 3 months, lipstick that smells, dried up foundation, and thoroughly clean brushes, sponges, and applicators. It’s easy to forget these things need to be done in order to prevent a nasty infection so set aside a few hours over the weekend and do a cosmetic detox! Seriously, pencil it in!
- USE YOUR AGENDA: Yeah you know…. that cute flower one you bought from Target… use it religiously! I prefer the ones with a month’s glance because time moves fast and it’s important to plan your life out 4 weeks at a time! Put everything on this calendar or planner. This keeps you up to speed and on the ball. Use different colored pens and color-code social plans, work events, due dates, bills, family plans etc.
- TACKLE THE CLOSET: This goes hand-in-hand with number one. Go through all of your clothes, make two piles, and then determine what will stay and what will go! My grandma always says, “if it stayed on the hanger for a year and you haven’t worn it, you never will”.
- SHOW ME THE MONEY: Spring cleaning also includes getting in control of your finances, whether you want to think about that or not. So sit down, pull out the bills, find out what you owe, make repayment plans, and avoid those late fees and that accruing interest. Use a filing system to organize all bills by category or month and put all due dates on your calendar.
- REPURPOSE IT: You know the 3-wick candles at Bath & Body Works? You’ll see those repurposed all around my house! Once I’ve burned the candle, I clean the wax out of the glass jar and use it to keep things in. I use these for makeup brushes, Q-tip holders, flower vases, nail polish, and so much more. So even before going out and buying organizers, look around your house to see if there’s something you could reuse as an organizer!
- SHOE SHELVES: Another favorite organization hack of mine is wall shelving! Use the space behind doors to install floating shelves. I went to Home Depot and found an affordable shelving system and I use these to keep my shoes and purses organized. This also helps maintain their condition! Before my shoe shelves, I would toss my shoes in a bin or at the bottom of my closet and it destroyed them. Now, it’s easy to see what I have and what I have stays in much better condition.
- BUY-SELL-TRADE: If you’re not already a member of a reputable buy-sell-trade Facebook group for your area, get on it! You could also use Faceboook Marketplace! So for that pile of clothes you decided you don’t need anymore and for all that junk that could be someone else’s treasure, you could be getting some easy extra cash! I’ve made hundreds through these groups! DISCLAIMER – you must be EXTREMELY careful when dealing with buy-sell-trade deals. Use common sense. Never give out your address, never go alone, and agree to meet in a well-lit area during the day or better yet, do the exchange at your local police station. I’ve never had a problem but other people have… so be smart about this!